Photograph album containing 99 images of the Royal Exhibition Building and grounds from 1880 to 1980. This is the first of 10 volumes collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a pictorial history of the Exhibition Building from 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and was put together over the following few years.

The first album begins with a reproduction of an artist's impression of the Exhibition Building in 1880 and contains aerial photographs taken between 1947 and 1981 as well as photographs of scale models of the building and external and internal views. External views include demolition and construction works and views of rail tracks and turntables used for loading exhibits during the Melbourne International Exhibition, 1880-1881. Internal views show the Great Organ, Great Hall and western annexe including 'Ratskeller'.

Various events, occupants and uses of the Exhibition Building and grounds are documented in this album, including the Government Printing Office, Legislative Council of State Parliament, Country Roads Board, Motor Registration Branch, Transport Regulations Board, RAAF, Youth Club, White Ensign Club, British Migrant Reception Centre, Da Gama's Licensed Restaurant, 1956 Melbourne Olympics, Palais Royal, Royale Ballroom, aquarium, fernery and the Australian War Museum.

Physical Description

Large, dark brown, vinyl-covered photograph album with engraved metal plate affixed to the front. The album contains 99 photographs, 92 are black & white and 7 are colour. Printed captions are adhered to the cardboard pages above or below each image.

More Information