Summary

Sepia photograph featuring the Kelly family standing by the verandah of Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office, which was located opposite Mentone railway station in Como Parade West, in 1889. Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office was owned by John Kelly. In 1891 John C Kelly is listed as estate agent at this address and Mrs Catherine Kelly is listed as running a grocery store at this address. From 1892 there is no Kelly listing at this address. The family still live in the area, and the land that the store was on is now occupied by Kilbreda College, where a member of the family now works.

Sepia photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.

Description of Content

Three family members standing by the verandah of Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office, 1889. A man holding a horse & cart is standing to their left (the viewer's right).

Physical Description

Digital image file, copied from original sepia print.

More Information