Tin of Francis' Voco Jubes, made by Henry Francis & Co Chemist in Melbourne, circa 1920s. The tin is empty.

These jubes or lozenges, made to treat coughs, colds and other throat illnesses, were promoted particularly to singers and public speakers, and were advertised as being 'free from all dangerous drugs'.

The Henry Francis Chemist business has a long, well respected history in Melbourne, and it made a range of products through its history, including cough lozenges and vitamins. The business began in 1860 when Henry Francis bought a pharmacy in Bourke Street, Melbourne. This pharmacy passed to Henry's son George. In 1919 David Cossar bought the business from George Francis. Subsequently the Henry Francis Chemists business was passed down through the Cossar family until around the end of the twentieth century. By 1972 there were 25 Henry Francis branded pharmacies across five Australiain states, with 15 of these attached to Myer department stores. In 1982 Henry Francis Chemists became a franchise and the pharmacies were operated outside the Cossar family.

Physical Description

Tin with lid hinged at the back. Top has printed packaging information featuring blue and white background with blue and white text and a photo reproduction of a woman in an oval frame at left. The tin is empty.

More Information