Image is part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.

Description of Content

Imperial Airways Short S.23 C class flying boat moored off Williamstown in Port Phillip Bay near Melbourne. A boat is pictured to the left with buildings visible on the shore in the distance. Identified as G-ADUT, 'Centaurus'. The flying boat was on a goodwill tour of Australian capital cities in January 1938 and visited Melbourne between 13-16 January 1938. Imperial Airways and Qantas Empire Airways began a regular Sydney-London flying boat service in July 1938.

Physical Description

Black & white silver gelatin photographic print.

More Information