Monochrome photograph depicting illuminated buildings in Melbourne on Spring Street as part of the 1934 Centenary celebrations. It is part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.

The statue in the photograph is in memory of Charles George Gordon, Major-General Royal Engineers. Gordon is described as a warrior who fell at Khartoum on January 26, 1885.

Description of Content

Illuminated buildings in Melbourne. Looking west down Spring Street showing Parliament House, Hotel Windsor and Gordon Reserve. In the foreground is a statue in memory of Charles George Gordon. The memorial is surrounded by palms and a fountain.

Physical Description

Monochrome silver gelatin photographic print.

More Information