Summary

Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.

Description of Content

View looking south-east towards Yarra River showing coal storage heap and storage yard cluttered with wooden crates and electrical cable reels at the Melbourne Electric Supply Company's Green Street Power Station, Richmond, Victoria, 6th December 1910. In the background can be seen part of a tannery & fellmongers (at left), the old iron girder bridge (built in 1857) on Chuch Street over the Yarra River - later replaced by a reinforced concrete arch bridge in 1923 - and tall chimneys of the brickworks on the far side of Chapel Street, South Yarra, behind the hill where Melbourne Boys High School was built in 1927.

Physical Description

Sepia toned black & white silver gelatin photographic print.

More Information