Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.

Description of Content

Rear view of the A.U. Alcock Electric & Motive Power Company Power Station in Neptune Street, Richmond. Facing Neptune Street is a large single-gable building measuing 100 ft long x 65 ft wide (30.5 m x 19.8 m), built on a bench at the edge of a fomer quarry hole. This building which contained the engine room and generators has a substantial brick facade (facing Neptune Street) and brick side-walls, with a corrugated galvanised-iron clad rear wall and roof. A raised ridge ventilator extends along the entire length of the roof. Condensers and boilers were situated in the basement of the building below street level, with the steam engines and electrical equipment comprising generators and switchboards on the floor above. Behind the engine house is a large octagonal brick chimney standing over 150 ft (45 m) high on a substantial square brick base. At the base of the chimney is a smaller corrugated-iron clad single-gabled building, measuring 38 ft x 70 ft (11.6 m x 21.3 m), which probably housed the steam boilers and a workshop. In the foreground is a deep partially flooded quarry hole that extended back to Burnley Street. It was used as a souce of cooling water for the power station's steam condensers. A pump suction pipe can be seen in the corner of the quarry hole closest to the power station. Small workers' cottages can be seen in the background on the far side of Neptune Street.

Physical Description

Sepia toned black & white silver gelatin photographic print.

More Information