This is an illustrated descriptive brochure produced by the Bristol company in 1956 to promote the Sycamore helicopter, one of the earliest commercially successful British helicopter designs.It was also the first British helicopter to receive a certificate of airworthiness following its first flight on 24 July 1947.

The Sycamore was produced in civil and military versions both powered by the Alvis Leonides radial engine driving three wooden rotor blades. The Royal Australian Air Force operated two Sycamore helicopters from the Woomera Rocket Range between 1951 and 1965. One of these machines (A91-1) survives at the Moorabbin Air Museum in Melbourne. The Royal Australian Navy operated 13 HR.50/51 Sycamores in training, communication and search/rescue roles. In the later capacity they were used in flood rescue operations at Maitland and Narrabri, NSW in 1955.



More Information