Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.
The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.
Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.
Description of Content
Model dealership workshop. This is an American image intended to be used as a guide for local IHC agents and dealers. Part of the Raymond Loewy 'Base of Operations' industrial design concept. A Sunnen bench grinder is seen in the foreground.
Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.
Donation from International Trucks Pty Ltd, by 11/1992
30 Aug 1946
Negative, 8 in. x 6 in., Black & White
Type of item
210 mm (Width), 162 mm (Height)