Summary

Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.

Description of Content

Overhead view from the north of the assembly line for imported International Harvester Co. motor trucks at the City Road, South Melbourne factory. Most of the vehicles pictured are D series trucks, vans and utilites. Packing crates in which the chassis units were shipped from the USA are seen on the right.

Physical Description

Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.

More Information