Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.

Description of Content

Interior of the main foyer or the International Harvester Co's Harvester House, at City Road, South Melbourne. The foyer is finished with extensive polished wood panelling and two mirror image staircases. The ceiling features multiple geometric panels and an ornate hexagonal suspended electric light fitting. In the centre of the terrazzo floor is embedded a large circular style "IHC" logo. In the left-hand rear corner a female receptionist sits behind a large table close to a large hydroponic heater mounted below the stairs. In the centre between the two stairways is a new Farmall A tractor on pneumatic tyres. Various pot plants are arranged around the foyer. This image is similar to MM115043, except that the image is taken facing at an orientation of 90 degrees to the earlier image facing the opposite staircase.

Physical Description

Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.

More Information