Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.

Description of Content

Interior of International Harvester Company Showroom at Harvester House, City Road, South Melbourne. Showing a diesel crawler tractor (at left) and pnuematic tyred W-40 tractor (at right). Behind are other implements including mouldboard and disc ploughs and cultivators, fertilizer & seed drills, further tractors, small engines, a harvester (extreme left behing column) and a reaper (far back). Behind the implements in the left background is a row of five offices with glazed partitions.

Physical Description

Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.

More Information