Black and white silver gelatin photograph of Building 11, Power House, under construction, Kodak Factory, Coburg, April 1958.

The first stage of the Power House building consisted of a Machine Hall, with north and south annexes. This is a distant view of the whole building looking towards the south-west, with residences in Boyne Street and other site work in the distant background. The steel frames, roof trusses and internal overhead crane rail of the Machine Hall have been completed as well as the brickwork to floor level. The steel columns of the North Annexe (front right of the building) have been encased, and the bearers for the lean-to roof completed. The steel platform for the cooling towers has been erected, and the construction of the first cooling tower for stage 1 (another two were added later for stage 2) appears to be well underway, with most of the timber louvres having being fitted and the fan venturi being installed with the help of two pulley rigs.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.

Description of Content

Image of Building 11 Power House and surrounding landscape looking towards the south-west. The steel frame of the whole building appears to have been completed and the installation of a cooling tower is underway.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, portrait format.

More Information