Black and white silver gelatin photograph taken at ground level from the north-east corner of the completed Electricity Sub-station #2, and looking north-west towards Building 2, Emulsion Making, Kodak factory, Coburg, May 1959.
Building 2, Emulsion Making, consisted of a special purpose built four-storey steel reinforced concrete and brick walled structure, connected to single-storey east and west wings. In this view, the outer fabric of the multi-storey section appears to have been completed, while the interior fit out is under way. Work can be seen proceeding on the penthouse floor level where service blocks, including the elevator room, are being fitted out.
This multi-storey building eventually housed all of the specialised emulsion making systems which fed the coating machine. It was connected to Building 3, Emulsion Coating, with a flyover at the third floor level. The tower hoist and materials seen at the left of picture are associated with internal building work being carried out in Building 3. This view featuring the east wing shows the windows and doorway of the Emulsion Laboratory and a doorway and loading dock leading into the Chemical Store.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
Description of Content
This streetscape looking north-west features an externally completed multi-storey building with two single storey wings to the right of the roadway. A flyover connects this building to another unseen on the left. A utility vehicle can be seen in the foreground along with a truck, tower hoist, scaffolding and building materials on the road in the background.
Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Back, stamp: 'KODAK ABBOTSFORD/TESTING DEPARTMENT PHOTOGRAPH/13 MAY 1959 Reference No. 59006C'
Type of item
253 mm (Width), 202 mm (Height)