Black and white silver gelatin photograph, view looking south west through the Main Gate next to Building 1, Gatehouse, towards Building 7, Testing ,in the centre and Building 3, Emulsion Coating, in the background, Kodak factory, Coburg, late 1959.

This photograph features the security controlled main gate entrance to the factory complex from Elizabeth Street. It shows Gatehouse Road extending to the west between Buildings 7 and 3 to the left, and the Main Carpark and Building 2, Emulsion Making, to the right. A section of the Power House services gantry is visible over the road.

During the construction period this was the only entrance to the factory site up until mid 1960. After this an additional entrance was required for the movement of finished goods from the Building 6, Distribution Centre, in Boyne Street, plus personnel access gates from additional carparks.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.

Description of Content

Image of a large steel gate with one side open and a road stretching into the distance between multi-storey buildings. A man is at the left of the image, inside the gate area, next to two metal drums. Two men can be seen walking away from the camera along the road.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.

More Information