Black and white silver gelatin photograph, view looking south east towards the North Annexe of the Power House, Building 11, Kodak factory, Coburg, late 1959.
The first stage of construction of the Power House building consisted of a Machine Hall with North and South Annexes, office and amenities block and a single cooling tower. This view features the North Annexe and the Marley evaporative cooling tower. In the foreground is a reinforced concrete base formed ready for the construction of a treated water tank farm. At this stage all external building work had been completed, and much of the first equipment for the factory start-up period 1959-60 had been installed and operational.
As viewed from right to left, the North Annexe contained a flammable liquids and oil store, a control room for the fire pumps and factory sprinkler systems, and some of the compressors for both compressed air and ethylene-glycol (brine) refrigeration. External access doors for these areas are visible on the north wall, along with three cooling water pump units for the brine refrigeration systems mounted on the roof of this annexe.
The Marley evaporative water cooling unit featured a centrifugal fan, venturi outlet and racks of louvered timber over which the water was sprayed for air cooling. It was mounted on a structural steel platform which was capable of accommodating up to three such units. Two more cooling towers were added by 1961 to satisfy the extra demands of the factory expansion.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
Description of Content
In the foreground are flat round areas of cement. The main structure featured is a brick building with roller door and door access at ground level. Situated on top is a box like structure with vents, and on the upper most level is a water cooling tower.
Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Front, text, typed: 'POWER HOUSE' Back, stamp: '59023'
Type of item
253 mm (Width), 202 mm (Height)