Blown-glass vase of cobalt blue glass, with flared spout, three handles with applied clear glass beading, and three minor spouts with clear glass rims, spreading foot with folded foot-rim, serpentine handle, and a bolbous body, manufactured by Compagnia Venezia-Murano (CVM), Venice, Italy, circa 1880.

The CVM was established in 1877 by Sir Austen Henry Layard, a former business partner and financier of glass manufacturer Antonio Salviati with whom he had founded the Societa Anonima per azioni Salviati & Co. in 1866. After the former business collapsed, Layard retained several of Salviati's craftsmen, including members of the Seguso family of noted Venetian glassmakers. Many of the products subsequently produced by CVM show the clear influence of the Seguso style, and similar items are published in CVM's catalogues from this period.

Likewise, several craftsmen followed Antonio Salviati across to his new company, among them being members of the Barovier family. Having worked so closely with the Seguso craftsmen during the period 1866-77, the products of the two newly formed companies shared many similarities. A very similar vase to this one, attributed to either Barovier or Fratelli Toso, is held in the Gardner and Barr Collection in New York.

The Compagnia Venezia-Murano were awarded the highest prize at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, being the First Order of Merit (gold medal) for their exhibits.

Physical Description

Blown glass with tapering cylindrical neck above bulbous body and stemmed foot. Three curved handles and three 'spouts' edged in clear glass. No marks.

More Information