Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.

Prime Minister Robert Menzies is pulling a cord to unveil a plaque dedicated to the opening of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd factory in Coburg. Seated from left to right on the stage with Menzies is Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak Australasia, Henry F. Foote; former Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak, Edgar Rouse is seated directly behind Menzies and far right is Elvin Teasdale, product development.

Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.

Description of Content

The main focus of the photograph is Prime Minister Robert Menzies pulling a chord to unveil a plaque. There are three men seated, two on one side of the plaque and one on the other. The man to the far left is wearing glasses. The man seated behind Menzies is partially obscured from view. The man seated far right is clapping and smiling.

Physical Description

Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, landscape format.

More Information