Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.

Prime Minister Robert Menzies is standing before a plaque dedicated to the opening of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd factory in Coburg. Seated from left to right on the stage with Menzies is Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak Australasia, Henry F. Foote; former Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak, Edgar Rouse and Elvin Teasdale, product development.

Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.

Description of Content

Prime Minister Robert Menzies is standing before a plaque that has been unveiled. There are four men seated, three to one side of the plaque and one on the other. One of the men is obscured from view by Menzies. The man to the far left is wearing a light coloured suit and is leaning forward to look at the plaque. Beneath the plaque is a natural flora arrangement.

Physical Description

Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, landscape format.

More Information