Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.

On a stage, standing at the lectern is Prime Minister Robert Menzies. Visible in the photograph, seated from left to right: former Chief Managing Director and Chairman of Kodak, Edgar Rouse; Elvin Teasdale, product development; fifth from the end, Fred Manning, manager of various Kodak branches since 1937; second from the end, Malcolm Bradly, engineer and seated last is General Manager of Manufacturing, Stuart Sanderson.

Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.

Description of Content

To the left of a stage in a hall, standing at a lectern is Prime Minister Robert Menzies. A row of seven men are seated to his left. Floral and plant arrangements are scattered across the stage. A curtained plaque is positioned centre stage. Large standing floodlights are situated at the of the front of the stage. A film camera is visible, far right. A group of men are seated in the audience, their backs to the camera.

Physical Description

Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, landscape format.

More Information