Clear blown glass goblet featuring an enamelled floral design on bowl, attributed to Harrach with artwork by J. & L. Lobmeyr, Austria.

Count Harrach of Nový Svet (Neuwelt) presented the largest display of Bohemian glass at the Melbourne International Exhibition. Effusively described in the description of the Austro-Hungary Court, Harrach's display was awarded a First Order of Merit (gold medal).

Glass workshops were established in Harrachov in 1712 by Elias Müller, who had gained permission from the then Count, Alois Raimund von Harrach. The Harrach family acquired the glass works in 1754, and the growth of the glass industry in the region is partly due to the long-standing reputation of the factory's output. Glass blanks manufactured at the Harrach factory were used by a number of the major Bohemian glass designers in the late nineteenth century, notably J. & L. Lobmeyr. Stylistically this goblet is similar to many known Lobmeyr examples from the same period.

The Harrach glass works were privatised in 1993, and continue today under the name Sklarna Novosad and Syn (Novosad and Sons) Bohemia Harrachov.

Physical Description

Round bowl on waisted stem, tapering stem and large circular foot. Slightly smoky glass, painted on bowl with flowers in gilt, pinks, blue, red, green. Frill of green glass around waist of stem. Tapering portion of stem painted with blue lines and white floral motif. Small white dots painted around rim of foot. No markings.

More Information