Glass ewer manufactured by Compagnia Venezia-Murano (CVM), Venice, Italy, circa 1880. It is probable this piece was made by members of the Seguso family who worked for CVM as it corresponds to items illustrated in trade catalogues.

Compagnia Venezia-Murano were awarded a First Order of Merit (gold medal) for their display. The company also received commissions from St Paul's cathedral in Melbourne for glass mosaics (which still exist).

Physical Description

Blown, salmon pink, glass ewer with fluted spout, cylindrical neck, flattened bulbous body and tiered, stemmed foot. White and yellow flowers with green leaves attached to waist of bowl. Brown serpent like creature curves around handle and neck. No markings.

More Information