Porcelain plaque manufactured by Josef Zasche, Vienna, depicting an image of 'The Holy Family With Musical Angel' after an original oil painting by Johann Friedrich Overbeck (1789-1869). The plaque was exhibited at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, where it was acquired by John Twycross. It is mounted in a19th century velvet frame with a folding leg attached at the back enabling it to stand, either on a mantle or shelf.

Three Viennese companies exhibited decoratively painted porcelain ware at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition: R├Ądler and Pilz, Charles Falb and Josef Zasche. Both Falb and Zasche had their works listed in the catalogue of works of art, rather than just as pottery. Zasche in particular was noted for his display of porcelain and enamel paintings of portraits, dishes, vases and plates.

Josef Zasche was born in Gablonz in 1821. In 1844 he served an apprenticeship as porcelain, ivory and enamel painter at the Vienna Porcelain Manufacture. Three years later, in 1847, he established his own workshop in the centre of Vienna. Zasche was famous for painting religious subjects, often copies after Old Masters. His works were displayed at a number of International Exhibitions, including Melbourne in 1881, Philadelphia in 1886 and Chicago in 1893.

Physical Description

Finely painted porcelain plaque with image of Mary, Joseph, Jesus and an angel sitting by rocks in front of a lake. Framed in a deep red velvet frame with leg stand at back.

More Information