Electromechanical calculating machine, manufactured by Automatic Totalisators Ltd of Sydney, Australia, circa 1926.

Known as the 'Julius Horse Adder", the totalisator was installed in the Mentone Race Club, Victoria, where it remained in use until its closure. From 1947 it was used at the Ipswich Amateur Turf Club, Queensland, until the machine was phased out in 1978.

George Alfred Julius (1873 -1946 ) invented the first automatic totalisator system in 1913 which was installed at Ellerslie Racecourse in New Zealand. It was initially conceived as an automatic vote counting machine but rejected by the government at the time and was adapted as a racecourse totalisator instead. He formed the company Automatic Totalisators Ltd. (A.T.L), in Sydney to manufacture and market his product. Many were installed around the world with the last one removed from service in 1987 from Harringay dog racing track in North London.

Physical Description

A two-shaft, belt-driven drum type adding machine made of black painted metal inside a wooden crate. There are a series of small epicyclic gear trains along the shafts and two large dials with numbers on them. The machine is mounted to a black painted wooden base. There are also five small copper plate stamps inside the crate with racecourse names on them.

More Information