Summary

Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the exterior of the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1928.

The photograph features a close view of the Yarra River with trees on the banks in the foreground and the Kodak factory in the background. The building to the left of the photograph with the chimney is the Power House. This building provided all of the power and refrigeration for the factory. A second taller chimney was built probably in the 1930s and was then removed by 1955. To the right is the Paper Coating Building where photographic paper was coated and photographic emulsions were manufactured. The tank visible on the top of the tower of this building contained distilled water which was used in manufacturing. The building further along to the right is the Glass Plate Building, where glass plates were made.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.

Description of Content

Photograph of the exterior of a factory site. The photograph features a close view of a river with trees on the banks in the foreground and the factory in the background.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight paper, landscape format.

More Information