Summary

Black and white photograph of the H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd. Factory, Sunshine, July 1949.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd. Factory, Sunshine, July 1949. A line of loaded trucks are parked along the road in front of the building.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph. Handwritten text on reverse in grey pencil. Stamped text on reverse in purple ink. Red and blue ink drawn across front of photograph.

More Information