Share scrip for the St Kilda & Brighton Railway Company, 1859, £135,000 capital in 5400 sharers of £25 each.

The St Kilda & Brighton Railway Co. was formed in June 1857, with plans to build a much lower cost railway to Brighton from the St Kilda terminus of the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway Company. The line which crossed St Kilda Road on a long timber viaduct, opened on 19 December 1859, using borrowed locomotives and rollingstock. It failed to make a profit, with operations being taken over by the Melbourne & Suburban Railway Co. in May 1862, and the assets being purchased by the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay United Railway Co. in September 1865.

Physical Description

Certificate. Rare with elaborate company heading and red company seal.

Obverse Description

Printed on white stock, black printed lettering and black handwritten text with red seal.

More Information