Folded accommodation and berthing plan for Chandris Lines, RHMS Queen Frederica. There plans feature a photographic image of the ship in blue and show the floor plans of the different decks of the ship. They also note that the ship was fully Air Conditioned.
Built in 1926 as the Malolo for the American Matson Line, with accommodation for 693 first class passengers, she was renamed the Matsonia in 1937 and sailed the San Francisco to Honolulu route until requisitioned to use as a troopship from 1941 to 1946. Sold to the Panamanian Home Line and renamed Atlantic in 1949 she sailed various routes until 1955 when she was sold to the Greek National Hellenic American Line, refitted to accommodate 190 first class, 250 cabin class and 800tourist class passengers, and renamed Queen Frederica. In January 1956 she was altered to carry first and tourist class passengers only, and in November that year was sold to Chandris Lines where she sailed various routes. She was sold again in 1971 and was used as a cruise ship until gutted by fire in 1978.
Folded plan printed on white stock in dark blue lettering & lining. Features photographic image of the ship in blue and floor plans of the different decks of the ship.
This collection of shipping memorabilia relating to the Europe & U.K. - Australia and Pacific Cruising voyages of the Greek-owned Chandris Lines passenger ships was collected by Paul Carman who joined the company's Melbourne office as a bookings officer in 1975. Mr Carman was responsible for allocating berths to passengers boarding Chandris Lines ships in Melbourne for cruises or voyages back to Europe. He continued to work for Chandris Lines until the company folded and still works in the cruise industry as Business Development Manager for Victoria, Tasmania & South Australia for the company Creative Cruising.
The Queen Frederica was originally built as the Malolo for the Matson Line's San Francisco-Hawaii service by Wm Cramp Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Philadelphia, and launched on 26 July 1926. She was the first ship designed by the famous American ship architect, William Francis Gibbs, and incorporated many up-to-date features including one of the first onboard swimming pools and predominately outside facing cabins, including many with private facilities. The Malolo entered service on the Honolulu route in November 1927, and quickly gained a reputation as the most outstanding ship on the Pacific. Round the Pacific cruises were added to her regular itinerary from 1929. After an extensive refit in 1938, which altered the accommodation to 693 first-class birth only, the ship was renamed the Matsonia, returning to service on the Hawaiian trade until November 1941, when it was requisitioned by the US Navy and converted to carry over 3000 troops. Over the next four years the Matsonia served as a troopship operated throughout the Pacific, including several visits to Australia, travelling a total of 385,549 miles and carrying 176,319 passengers. Following the War, the Matsonia returned briefly to the Hawaii trade, before being cold to the Home Lines for their North Atlantic and Caribbean cruising trades. In December 1954, the Matsonia was transferred to the National Hellenic American Line, a Greek registered subsidiary of the Home Lines and renamed the Queen Frederica. With her accommodation reconfigured for 132 first-class, 116 cabin class and 931 tourist class passengers, the Queen Frederica initially spent several years on the North Atlantic trade, although she made one migrant voyage from Naples to Australia in December 1958. In 1960, the ship was again refitted, being given an extended superstructure and accommodation for 174 first-class and 1005 tourist-class passengers, before returning to her previous service. In November 1965, the Queen Frederica was sold to the Chandris Lines and made a further single Australian voyage, departing Piraeus on 10th December, before returning to the North Atlantic trade. Over the summers of 1966-67 and 1967-68, the Queen Frederica made two further voyages to Australia and undertook several short cruises out of Sydney, before transferring to the Mediterranean cruise trade to see out most of her remaining years before being sold to ship breakers in 1977.
In 1970 Chandris Lines secured the government contract to transport British migrants to Australia, but over the next few years the number of immigrants carried declined as more and more choose to fly out to Australia. By 1976, the Australis was the only ship maintaining a regular schedule between Britain and Australia and on 18 November 1977, she left Southampton for the final time, carrying among her passengers 650 assisted immigrants - the last to be transported to Australia by any vessel.
Donation from Mr Paul Carman, 20/09/2006
Printed on front page in blue: "CHANDRIS LINES / R.H.M.S. "QUEEN FREDERICA" / BERTHING PLAN" Printed next page: "R.H.M.S. "QUEEN FREDERICA" / ONE CLASS SHIP / 22,500 TonS dIS. Fully air Conditioned
Type of item
2D Format - Folded
180 (Length), 90 (Width), 10 (Depth)