This horizontal air compressor was one of a pair of electrically powered Kelly & Lewis units installed in the South Engine Room in about 1926. They replaced several small steam-powered compressors mounted on the large steam pumping engines. By the 1920s, electric equipment began to replace the steam-powered machinery at the Station after it was connected to the State Electricity Commission (SEC) power grid.

More Information