Leather sample card from J. Hewit & Sons Ltd, Tanners and Leather Dressers, Edinburgh, circa 1940s. It was used by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd. Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

Physical Description

Folder made from pale orange card, the name and coat-of-arms of the manufacturer printed on the front cover in black ink, with details on the back cover. Inside are 10 sheets of cream card, each containing four rectangles of coloured leather samples, numbered down the right side, with the type of leather printed along the upper edge, in black ink. The folder is secured with thin maroon cord along the left side, threaded through three holes and tied in a knot. Two loose pieces of leather - one brown, one green - are inserted between the pages.

More Information