Booklet titled 'Welcome to the City Loop' issued by VicRail to coincide with the opening of Museum Station on the 24th January, 1981, the first station constructed as part of the City Loop project. The booklet contains information about the operation of the station and of the city loop itself.

Physical Description

Rectangular booklet, with a thin brown card cover and 16 white paper pages secured by two metal staples. Inside is printed with extensive text, illustrations and maps. On the front cover is a stylised train engine and the words `Welcome to the City Loop'.


The creation of Melbourne Underground Rail Loop was an extraordinary undertaking, which changed the look and the daily operation of the CBD. Construction commenced in 1971, and the project was completed with the opening of Flagstaff Station in 1985. Before the Loop, around 90 per cent of all rail passengers travelling to the city travelled through Flinders Street Station. This caused serious congestion for both passengers and trains. The Loop provided customers with a choice of five stations around the central business district and avoided operational problems associated with trains having to reverse direction at Flinders Street.

As early as 1929, the Metropolitan Town Planning Commission recommended the construction of railway tracks and stations under the eastern and northern sides of the central business district, and connecting them to the existing railway system in the vicinity of North Melbourne and Richmond. The 1969 Melbourne Metropolitan Transport Plan also supported the need for an underground loop, and proposed a design similar to that finally agreed upon. The first station, Museum, was officially opened on January 24th, 1981.

More Information