Museum Victoria holds a small but interesting motorcycling collection including 13 motor cycles and scooters, 1 motor cycle model, 3 auto cycles (power-assisted bicycles), 14 motor cycle engines and other accessories such as clothing, trade literature and engine components. The collection began with the acquisition of the locally-built Liberty motor cycle and a sectioned Moto Reve engine in 1916. It was gradually built up from 1925 to 1942 by the acquisition of further sectioned engines and other components. No further additions were made until the 1960s and it was not until 1971 that the second complete motor cycle, the Harley Davidson 'Pup' was acquired by donation. The remainder of the collection was then developed between 1971 and 1983 through donations and some targeted acquisitions.
Technically the collection includes many of the most important developments in motor cycle design throughout the 20th century with representative examples of Australian manufacturers and some of the leading British, American, European and Japanese manufacturers. The Museum's collection of trade literature and photographs also help to document some of the social and historical context of motorcycling in Australia.