John Buchan, originally from Tannadice, near Forfar, Scotland, migrated to Victoria in 1853, evidently because of poor health and the need to live in a warmer climate. He sailed on the Lucia Maria from Liverpool on 13 November 1852, arriving in Geelong on 21 March 1853. He was accompanied by his wife Charlotte (nee Bell), and children Charlotte Elizabeth, John Innerarity, Alexander and Sophia; a younger son David apparently remained in Scotland for a time.
Buchan established a real estate and auctioneering business in Melbourne in 1854 in Little Collins Street East. Buchan was joined in the firm, John Buchan & Co, by two of his sons, John Innerarity Buchan and David Thomas Buchan.
By 1858 he was residing at 19 Palmer Street, Fitzroy, and remained in Palmer Street until he purchased a 7 ½ acre (3 hectare) site in Studley Park, Kew around 1872, which had a frontage of over 500 feet to the Yarra River. By 1873 John Buchan was living in his new residence on the site.
Finhaven, in Stevenson Street, Kew was a large home on the hill at Studley Park, overlooking the Yarra River and the river flats in Abbotsford. Finhaven was named after a ruined castle near Buchan's home in Scotland. The two-story residence had over 16 rooms, and included a ballroom and billiard room.
John Buchan died at Finhaven on 18th March 1874; he was survived by his wife Charlotte, who lived in the house with her son John Innerarity Buchan and his wife and children.
Burke's Colonial Gentry, vol 2, p. 849-150, 1895.