St John's Church, Newtown, Tasmania, was built in 1835. In 1916 its original bell fractured, and it was decided to melt down the bell into medalets, which could be sold to raise funds for a replacement bell.
New Town is today a suburb of Hobart, both a residential and commercial district. Development of New Town occurred after Hobart Town on Sullivan's Cove had become well established. Lt. Col. David Collins established a camp there on 19 February 1804. New Town Bay (formerly Stainsforth's Cove) then became an important place of shelter and source of fresh water for shipping. Reverend Knopwood's diary entry of 9 January 1805 records that 'Gov. and self walked to the farm. The Gov. gave the name of the Town at the Farm: New Town.' Settlers started farming the area to provide food for the colony. New Town became a municipality but was absorbed into greater Hobart in the 1930s.
Web Weave Tasmania http://www.wwt.com.au/townsno.htm
Bed and Breakfast Australia website http://babs.com.au/wendover/history.htm.
Carlisle, Leslie J. (1983). Australian commemorative medals and medalets from 1788, No. 1916/9.