The Royal Society of Tasmania was founded on 14 October 1843 as the Botanical and Horticultural Society of Van Dieman's Land. Its first president was the Lientenant-Governor of the Colony, Sir John Eardley Wilmot. On 12 September the following year Queen Victoria consented to becomjng Patron of the Society, and the Society was named The Royal Society of Van Dieman's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. It was the first 'Royal Society' formed outside Great Britain. In 1855, when the Colony of Van Dieman's Land was renamed Tasmania, the Society became the Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the Society was incorporated and renamed The Royal Society of Tasmania.
The Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens were originally part of the Society, but were transferred to the Crown in 1885.
The Royal Society of Tasmania supports the advancement of knowledge. Monthly meetings are held in both Hobart and Launceston. Annual volumes of papers are published, and it has libraries in Hobart and Launceston. The Society issues a range of medals, including the Royal Society of Tasmania medal, the Clive Lord Memorial Medal and medals for a Joseph Banks Memorial Lecture series (eg. NU 34807 and NU 34808).
McNiece, Roger V. (1997). 'Medals of the Royal Society of Tasmania', Numismatic Association of Australia Journal, vol.3, Australia, pp.27-30.