The Harrington & Richardson (H&R) Arms Company traces its origins to 1871, when it was founded as Wesson & Harrington. In 1877, Gilbert H. Harrington and William A. Richardson established Harrington & Richardson.
For over 100 years H&R manufactured inexpensive handguns, shotguns, and rifles. In the 1980s the old H&R Company fell on hard times, and in January of 1986 they went out of business and their factory in Worchester was demolished,
H&R 1871, Inc. was formed in 1991 and manufactured double action revolvers and break-open rifles and shotguns of basic H&R design. Revolver production ceased in 1999. In 2000 the Marlin Firearms Company purchased the assets of H&R 1871, also acquiring the New England Firearms and Wesson & Harrington trademarks. The new company is known as H&R 1871, LLC.