Fulton and Smith were millers and engineers who in 1854 won a prize for flour at the Melbourne Exhibition (NU 34997). They also supplied the Campbellfield Steam Mills with milling machinery they employed to win a medal at the same exhibition.
According to the Australian Dictionary of Biography, a Thomas Fulton (1813-1859) milled flour, set up the first iron foundry in Flinders St and erected a steam engine for the first mill in Melbourne. He was in partnership at one stage with Robert Smith and George Annand. The Melbourne Directory lists Thomas Fulton in 1849 as 'engineer, foundry', in Flinders St. In 1854 it lists Fulton and Smith, 'ironfounders and millers', at 129 Flinders St West and Thomas Fulton at 131 Flinders St West.
Fulton is almost certainly not the Robert Fulton who installed a new overshot water wheel, added a second pair of millstones and a wooden flume from the Plenty River for Abraham Willis around 1857 (Morawa District Historical Society website).
William Ruse, a miller who had emigrated from Britain in 1852 and worked briefly on the goldfields, was one young man who found work at Fulton and Smith. He was paid four pounds per week.
City of Kingston website http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/article/244.htm, accessed 13/1/2004.
Morawa District Historical Society website http://www.wn.com.au/caladenia/waterflourmill_aust.html, accessed 13/1/2004.
Australian Dictionary of Biography website http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonline.htm