In 1845 Richard Lamb and A.W. Fairfax opened a shop in George Street, Sydney. The business was successful for many years. When Lamb died in a boating accident in 1876 O.G. Roberts joined the business and the Fairfax and Roberts partnership was established. The business claimed to be Australia's first emporium for fine silver, optical instruments and jewellery. Its workshops served royalty, heads of state and wealthy citizens. It was favoured for the production of government presentation pieces and service ware.
Fairfax & Roberts registered its maker's mark at the Assay Office in London, creating a stamp that is still in use today.References:
Fairfax & Roberts website http://www.fairfaxandroberts.com.au/html/ff&r_main.html, accessed 9/1/2004.