Description of the Sunshine Harvester Works' Drilling Shop.
Year established: 1908-1909
Workers in the Sunshine Harvester Works Drilling Shop drilled holes in a variety of parts. Following the company's relocation to Sunshine in 1904-1906, most of the company's frames and parts for implements were bolted or riveted together. Following World War II, welded fabrications became the common method of construction and the Drilling Department was integrated into the Machine Shop. Workers in the department included a foreman and approximately 30 drillers. Ted Clark, Fred Bult, Ron Morris and Jack Dennison were some of the foremen employed in the shop. Equipment in the shop included pedestal drills, radial drills, specialised drilling machines adapted for specific parts and multi-spindle machines. Lathes, Milling machines and a big planer also featured in the shop. The Drilling Shop was located adjacent to the Blacksmiths' Shop in the centre of the factory.
- Ray Browne, Ken Porter, George Hales, Merv Brooks and Derek Craggs (former Sunshine Harvester Works employees), personal recollections held at Museum Victoria, June and November 2000.