Description of the Sunshine Harvester Works' Paint Dip Shop.
Year established: Between 1906 and 1908.
Colour was added to Sunshine Harvester Works' machinery parts in the Paint Dip Shop. Parts were originally painted manually but were eventually replaced by a process of dipping parts into a tank. The tank measured approximately 12ft x 3ft x 6ft. Overhead rails and air hoists were used to dip large parts into the tanks, while small parts were submerged in a basket. The parts were painted in the company's official colours of red, yellow and green. Varnish and prime undercoats were also added. Once painted, the parts were hung to dry in areas known as 'orchards'.
From the 1950s-1960s, spraying-painting was introduced into the factory. Spray-paint booths and baking ovens were installed in the shop to work on larger machinery.
Former workers recall the intense fumes which filled the shop from the various paints, lacquers, thinners and detergents. Accidents were known to have happened in the shop, with one instance of a worker falling into the paint dips and was rushed to hospital. Known employees in this department included foreman Len Nankervis and sub-foreman Jack Pointnester.
- Ray Browne and George Hales (former Sunshine Harvester Works employees), personal recollections held at Museum Victoria, April and October 2000, October 2002.
- Interview with Gerald Evans and Bill Dickie, 9 November 2005. Recording held at Museum Victoria, registration no. HT 33610.