Description of the Sunshine Harvester Works' Laboratory
Year established: Late 1920s-early 1930s
The Sunshine Harvester Works' Laboratory performed tests on materials used in the factory to ensure that they complied with engineering standards. The department analysed foundry test samples to ensure they met the grey iron or steel casting specification as required. In addition, failed parts from the company's machinery were analysed by the laboratory to determine the cause of the failure.
The department was also responsible for the testing all Flat Sprocket chains produced in the factory. A small sample of four links was attached to each coil of chain prior to heat treatment for elongation testing (tensile). As the chain was sold commercially, it was essential that all batches of chain met specification standard. The round link chain was also tested for welding strength.
Noted employees in the laboratory included Chief Metallurgist Roy Day, Alex Galbraith, Allan Jackson and assistant Charlie Smith. The Laboratory was situated in Hampshire Road adjacent to the Duplicates Department. After 1956 it was moved to the main Factory and located in part of the Stores building opposite the Heat Treatment department.
- Ray Brown, Peter Chettle and Norm Gooding (former Sunshine Harvester Works employees), personal recollections held at Museum Victoria, February and October 2002 and October 2006.