Charles Archibald (Arch) Hoadley was born on 1 March 1887 in Burwood, Victoria. In 1911 he graduated from the University of Melbourne with a degree in mining engineering. In December of that year he departed Australia as a geologist on the Western party of the 1911-1914 Australasian Antarctic Expedition, which was led by Douglas Mawson. He was stationed at the Western Base in Queen Mary Land and participated in a number of sledging journeys including the summer westward expedition.
Cape Hoadley, a prominent rock coastal outcrop forming the west portal of the valley occupied by Scott Glacier in Antarctica, was named after Hoadley following its discovery by the Western Base party of the Expedition in 1912.
Hoadley and the other members of the Western Expedition returned to Hobart in 1913 although Mawson was not rescued from Antarctica until the following summer.
After returning to Australia, Hoadley lectured in engineering at Ballarat School of Mines, before becoming the Principal at the Footscray Technical School where he remained until his death in 1947. He was heavily involved in the Scouting movement and became the first Warden of the Gilwell Park training ground for Scouts Australia. A sledge used by Hoadley on the 1911-1914 Australasian Antarctic Expedition was mounted in the Russell Troop Hall at Gilwell Park until it was donated to Museum Victoria in 2003.
Hoadley was awarded the King's Polar Medal (1915) and made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1936.References
Smith, Ailie, 2007, 'Hoadley, Charles Archibald Brookes (1887 - 1947)', Encyclopedia of Australian Science, viewed 9 November 2011